SYR Airport Media Inquiry Policy
Media inquiries during business hours (Monday-Friday 8am-4pm) should be directed to Matthew Szwejbka at email@example.com or by calling (315) 455-3631.
All media inquiries made outside of normal business hours should be directed to Jennifer Sweetland, Director of Marketing, Communications, and Air Service Development via text/call at (315) 391-5809 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When possible, Syracuse Regional Airport Authority staff will make every attempt to respond within 30 minutes to calls made between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. All other calls, unless it’s an emergency, will be returned the next business day
Media covering stories at SYR are requested to contact us as a courtesy prior to arrival. Please notify us via email at email@example.com.
If an emergency situation occurs at SYR, the SRAA will experience a high volume of media inquiries. To ensure you are receiving the most accurate information, please do the following:
- Follow the airport’s Twitter account: @SyracuseAirport
- Email a request to be added to the media distribution list to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be advised that during emergencies, media calls will be returned as staffing permits.
The following items are not considered after-hours emergencies:
- Flight status information requests
- Routine airport radio traffic
- Medical call reports
- Reports of aircraft flying in unusual or low patterns
There are many different agencies working within the airport. Certain airport operations fall under the jurisdiction of those different agencies. The media are requested to contact the public affairs department of those agencies for interviews and information.
- Aircraft Operations/Air Traffic Control
- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is responsible for all air traffic control. The FAA Public Affairs contact information can be found here.
- Aircraft/Airline Issues
- Individual airlines are responsible for issues relating to that particular airline, including: labor issues, on-time performance, flight schedules, baggage issues, etc. Please direct inquiries relating to individual airlines to the airline’s public affairs office.
- Airport Security
- It is the policy of the SRAA to limit the information made public regarding security procedures used by airport and federal personnel pursuant to applicable laws, regulations, and policies. Airport security procedures are established with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and implemented by airport and federal personnel. For more information, please contact TSA Public Affairs here.
While at the Airport
Please display media credentials at all times while covering stories on airport property.
Media outlets are permitted in all publicly accessible areas of SYR. Pursuant to applicable laws and regulations, only ticketed persons, persons holding valid ID badges, or persons escorted by properly badged personnel are allowed beyond the security checkpoints. Please be advised that law enforcement and SRAA personnel have the authority to stop any unapproved filming or photography at any time.
Media vehicles are expected to park in the south construction lot. Please do not park curbside at the terminal. Unattended vehicles left curbside at the terminal will be ticketed, and may be ultimately towed. Be sure to prominently display media affiliation on your vehicle. Please see the images below for proper parking areas. If the media lot is filled, please use the Cell Phone Lot (also indicated on the maps).
If you are interested in filming or photographing at the airport for commercial purposes, you must receive prior permission from the Syracuse Regional Airport Authority. All requests should be directed to Matthew Szwejbka at email@example.com or by calling (315) 454-3263.
Student Media Requests
All students seeking an interview or to film at the airport are required to complete the below form. Once the form has been submitted, someone from the airport will respond within 24 hours (during regular business hours). Students should not call the phone numbers provided above for commercial media.